Monday, July 18, 2011

Is Conservatism Dead?


"No, it's really just a sock filled with campaign contributions..."


There are many ways to slice and dice the conversation on Conservatism, one can say that 2011 has probably shown us that Love American Style has flown the coup. As such, it is probably safe to say that Conservatism is dead in America. In the 1980's it may have been diagnosed as a yuppy's herniated disk while Republicans frantically looked to perfect, and architect a contract for American perusal and consumption. Conservatism embodies a value system that cannot be adhered to in present day America. We're allowed (read: encouraged)  to say one thing, as the spry young candidate, and years later we welcome the profound debacles that should be reserved for a novice wank. 

As an appreciator of politics, and as one who who keeps low-brow humor relegated to his FB page, I can tell you my friend that schtick has no place in government. One might even say, that the few who know the art of politic have been sprayed with a quick coat of Pam in lieu of non-stick Teflon. Others however seem to cater to the media's ability to replicate and broadcast every nano-second of otherwise reprehensible behavior. (ouch!) You can't hit the do-over button once you hit send, that's why it contains the word end.


In my 'new' native land of Brooklyn a gal pal told me that there are 'no backsies'. "Once you hit send, you cannot pretend." Conservatism is dead for several reasons…one, an elected official should never ever feel the urge to send pics on twitter-- it's a micro-blogging site! Nano-seconds are like hours, compound that with the ability to 're-tweet' and you'll be in major league trouble mister. I'm no saint, but believe you me, there is no reason to clicker, flickr and tweet her if you think for one second that it's private, and two, if you think that the recipient won't share the content. By the way what does it mean for someone I vote for to be embattled? I went to grad school, and I write for a living...when do I get to be embattled? If I misspell a word does that mean I am on the way to being embattled? This is really nuts. The internet and those that use it won't allow for that type of sanity.

Another clue that khakis and the penny loafer are losing their clout, is the recent melee that took place in the nation's capitol when American citizens were arrested for dancing in front of a statue. "W?T?F?" Yep, that's what I said too.

According to recent reports, Washington D.C. Park Police arrested a congregation of people for dancing in front of, and inside the Jefferson Memorial. Now some Jeffersonian democrats might think that's a bit extreme, but for myself, I thought that was the last straw. If you can dance, shimmy, and two-step at the RNC convention when you choose to send someone to Washington, then why all the fuss when you dance in front of a statue of some you've already voted for? Is that action less conservative? No. So what's conservative then? The DNC also allows for celebration after an election win? I don't get where the action becomes illegal, immoral, or unjust. 

These days I can see an American Governor ride on the back of a Harley, eat Moose, and tell me that the country has run amuck, but I cannot dance in front of a statue of someone that has contributed to my American existence- that, I do not get. At this rate, we'll give up the electoral college and just press the 'like' button on Facebook or some other social network to show our approval and democratic flair.

Historically speaking, we pay tribute to the past but we don't conserve it. We live in a country that is globally known for it's largess and it's ability to adhere to those certain 'inalienable' rights that make us all equal. Yet we have leaders who cheat, steal, ponzi, carouse, and slut to no end--what gives?

As a citizen of America and student of the World, I feel we should be allowed to remember certain events in history without a brace and without the prod of the government. Furthermore, I really feel bad for those that try to live according "the" conservative ideal... Those notions have never really contributed to the American norm nor are they the standard which is broadcast on the myriad of reality television shows which are circulated on the boob tube. Next time you are in front of a statue of someone that did good for America, look over your shoulder before you tap your feet...It may be construed as an act of treason. Adoremos...

+JO.


No comments:

Post a Comment